Sunday, April 26, 2009

5km chalk that up on this years list of done!

I did my 5 km run today and you know it was better than i figured it would be. They counted down and guess what, I was running ( in the words of forest gump!) I was crusin pretty good then i got a little tired around Richard road, but i kept plugging away. As i got more and more tired i started getting passed, first by people in the same shape as me, then some older 60's dedicated runners, these weren't so bad. At one point when a woman in her 50 -60's with what seemed some sort of limp from a stroke or injury passed me i started feeling just a little ticked. I figured i had better add a little motivation into my run before seniors with walkers start passing me. I pushed pretty hard and was feeling better then i saw a sign coming, this was exciting as i was thinking i had gotten a significant distance by now. I sped up towards the sign and as i was getting closer i see 1km. I almost drooped to my knees i thought we had gone further than that?! I pushed and pushed up hill and down hill thru rain, snow, sleet, thought desert and swamp till i saw the 2km sign then i look over and Chad passes me, oh yea he reached the half way point and was turning back when he passed with with his leisurely stroll. I smiled at Chad and give him a thumbs up but he didn't get it, he thought i was doing good, but i was hitch hiking. I pushed for what seemed another 15 minutes to get to the half way point and was feeling a little better till all these volunteers were smiling and saying " Way to go your half way!" I was thinking to myself oh crap I'm only half way. The nice thing about the second half is i knew where to expend my energy. So i ran for quite a ways until i hit the bottom of the bridge then i walked to ketch my breath. About 50 feet before the crest of the hill i started running knowing that i could make it to the top then flop my way down the other side till i hit flat road surfaces. Before i knew it i was about a half a km from being done! I was getting excited or blacking out from loss of oxygen I'm not sure which but either way i was getting some kind of euphoric high. About a 1/4 of a km from the end i was pushing pretty hard for a fat man and feeling like the kool aid pitcher running down the street ( fat and sloshy ), and i saw Chad, Leslie, and Alan standing there cheering me on. What an awesome feeling, good friends, great support, and thank God the finish line. You know all kidding aside it was a pretty easy run, and my time was not fantastic but it was pretty good for what i have achieved in the last 4 months. I ran the 5k in 46.23 min averaging a speed of 7.2km/h. I have to say thank you to Chad for helping me to accomplish this goal, Leslie for teaching a whole lot about nutrition, Alan for introducing himself to me, clapping and not laughing, and everyone who has taken the time to read my blog. I appreciate you all and am thankful to have great friends and family. Next year ill do this again but I'm going to shoot for being under 30 minutes next time

All things are possible to him who has faith.

And remember these three things remain: faith, hope, and love. But the best one of these is love.

No comments:

Post a Comment